Holmeswood Methodist Chapel
A Brief History of School
A fund for the building of the school was started by the community and local business in 1898. The idea for a school arose when there was concern that the local children had to walk to Rufford C. E. or Mere Brow in all kinds of weather.
The treasurers for this fund were William Lyon and Ben Wainwright. Fund raising events were a great success and three foundation memorial stones were laid by Mrs. Southworth of Southport, Mrs. Halsall of Holmeswood and Henry Jones Esq. J.P. of Ormskirk, on the 24th August 1898. The school was opened in 1899 accommodating 96 children up to 14 years of age.
The School’s original name was "The Wesleyan Day School". However, in 1950 it became a Lancashire County Council Controlled Methodist Primary School.
(Information provided by Mrs L Watkinson of Holmeswood, whose grandfather was a founder member)
|Mr Tom Alty|
|1992 to 2005||Mr Michael Taylor|
|2005 to present||Mr Relph Higson|